Hundreds of thousands of NHS staff struck on October 13th. The strike was strongly supported by porters, cleaners, admin and clerical staff. Many clinical grades including nurses and midwives joined the strike without hurting patients as managers ran reduced services (Xmas day cover) and redeployed from non-essential areas. No Unison members were needed to cross picket lines for emergency cover. Close to 300 staff attended picket lines at Oxfordshire hospitals, with many more joining the strike.
Now the dispute has grown with more unions joining the fight and holding joint action. 13 NHS unions will be striking between 7 am and 11 am on Monday 24th November against ongoing attacks on NHS pay that have seen wages fall by an average of 10% in the last 4 years. The aim of the strike is to win a wage rise for all this year and an above inflation pay rise next year.
The mood for the strike has sharpened as a result of the government making it clear it wants to cut unsocial hours payments as part of next year's pay settlement that will cut wages for shift workers, with some losing thousands of pounds. This comes at a time when many more staff are expected to work evenings and weekends - but the government wants the unsopcial hours for no extra pay.
Unison calls on all members in the NHS to stand with members striking on Nov 24th and standing up to a government committed to wrecking the NHS with cuts and privatisation.
There will be pickets at the following locations and members are asked to join the picket lines at:
- John Radcliffe hospital 1. Headley Way road entrance OX3 7SS 2. Ostler Road entrance OX3 9BH
- Nuffield Orthopaedic centre OX3 7LD 1. Windmill Road entrance 2. Old Road entrance
- Churchill Hospital will be located junction of Churchill and Roosevelt drives OX3 7LF
- Warneford Hospital Main gate on Roosevelt Drive OX3 7JX, plus overflow carpark and side gate entrance on Warneford lane
- Littlemore Hospital main gate and Oxford clinic entrance OX4 4XN
- Horton General hospital - Hightown Road entrance
- Wantage hospital main gate
- Abingdon hospital main gate
- Wallingford hospital main gate
- Witney Hospital main entrance
- Boundary Brook House
Members from the following unions will be participating: UNISON, Royal College of Midwives (RCM), Union of Construction,Allied Trades and Technicians (UCATT), Society of Radiographers (SoR), British Association of Occupational Therapists (BAOT), GMB, Unite the Union, Managers in Partnership (MiP), Prison Officers Association (POA), Hospital Consultants and Specialists Association (HCSA), British Dietetic Association (BDA)